Saturday, October 23, 2010

WHEN I SAW A UFO

This is sort of a Halloween story, though it didn't seem like it at the time.

It was around this time of year in 1979. Bruce and I had met in the spring and fallen in love. We were both still married to other people. I was out and about after dark in the midwest on a cool night, driving a little green Datsun station wagon on my way home to my stone house out in the country.

I saw a UFO.

I wasn't particularly startled, although the thing seemed to be very close to my car, in the air above me. I could see the bottom of it and it looked like a flattish rectangle with lights in three of the four corners. I stopped the car and got out to look at it. It was hovering about fifty feet above me and looked about the same size as my car.

I have no idea if it was.

I got back in the car and drove another mile and had exactly the same experience. Whether it was the same UFO or a different one, I don't know. It looked about the same except it had somehow moved another mile without me realizing it. I was extremely calm considering. Again the thing seemed to hover over me. Another mile down the road, almost to my house, the experience repeated itself. I was stymied. As soon as I got home I called Richard Gubauer Air Force Base, which was within shouting distance of my house, and reported seeing one UFO three times, or three UFO's one time each. Wasn't ever really sure. The guy answering the phones that night said there'd been over two hundred reports. He didn't seem thrown by it either.

I called Bruce and told him.

I don 't remember his reaction, but it seemed mild.

Then I pretty much forgot about it. Until now...

No comments:

Post a Comment